These are easy “refrigerator pickles,” which means they require no heat processing but must be kept in the fridge.
- About 15 garlic scapes
- 1 dried chile (optional)
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Trim the garlic scapes, curl them up, and place them in a pint jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Work the chile, if you’re using it, into the jar with the garlic scapes.
- In a small saucepan heat the vinegar, salt, and sugar with 1 cup of water until simmering and salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Pour the warm vinegar mixture over the garlic scapes to cover them (you may not use all of the vinegar mixture). Seal the jar. Let it sit until cool, then store it in the refrigerator for at least 6 weeks and up to six months.